Thursday, July 19, 2007

YMCA to avoid

In my travels I have now been to many YMCAs around the state and even in West Virginia. Some of these have been nice facilities, like Batesville, others have been a little sub par, like Terre Haute with its dishtowels. Nothing, however, could have prepared me for the horror that is the YMCA in North Vernon, IN. Granted this is a temporary facility, but still, it was quite a shock. At first I could not find it at all. Even after calling, I had a little difficulty. The front door was in the middle of a strip mall, and it read "Abbey Auto Glass" and then had a YMCA logo beneath it. Once through the door, I had to walk down a poorly lit hallway and around a corner to get checked in at a table made of plywood. Truly, this was the Advantage Cable Services of YMCAs. Once checked in I used the unisex, one person locker room/storage closet. I was only able to use about half of the locker, because the other have was full of random items that they were storing there. The equipment itself was in decent shape except for the decline bench which in addition to having a cracked foam leg pad (exposing your knee to the metal below) seemed as though it could tip at any moment. I didn't have to worry about the condition of their showers, however, because there weren't any. In fact, the only restroom of any kind was out in the hall and had to be accessed by a key with a long strip of metal attached to it (gas station style). The bathroom itself was also being used for storage. Despite these setbacks, I got the following decent workout:

Sketchy YMCA Chest and Back Workout:

1 mile run

Pullups: 3 sets, 11 reps, 4 reps, 1 rep
Deadlifts: 2 sets, 50 reps, 30 reps, 95lbs
Bench: 3 sets, 10 reps 135lbs, 5 reps 185lbs, 10 reps 135lbs
One Armed Dumbbell Bench: 3 sets per side, 10 reps, 50lbs
Luggage Deadlifts: 3 sets per side, 10 reps, 65lbs
Military Press: 3 sets, 10 reps, 40lbs per side
Bouncers: 3 sets, 10 reps, 50lbs per side
Crunches on the shady decline bench: as many as I had the courage for (about 30)

No comments: