Monday, July 30, 2007

Update: Day 22 of the Diet

So my 3 weeks of "No Carb Hell" are over and I figure it's time to update the ol' status report while enjoying a delicious piece of whole wheat toast.

Officially I cheated on my 3 weeks with the following items:
2 Bubble Teas
2 Krispy Kreme Donuts
1 Starbucks Mocha
2 French Fries from TGI Fridays
3 Sneaky spoonfuls of rice
6 Delicious Chicken McNuggets
1 Tortilla
1 Order of Refried Beans

Despite my cheating I was able to lose 10 lbs. and lower my blood pressure by 10 points too. Incredible results for 3 weeks of dieting. My entire body shape has changed and I feel I'm one more step closer to becoming a lean Spartan.

Now to share what I feel are the downsides to doing such a drastic thing as cutting out 90% of carbs and eating 150+ grams of protein a day.

1. Energy. The first week and a half I was fine. By the last week I was having trouble getting the energy to complete my workout. Definitely a byproduct of the difficulty in getting enough calories with protein. I would not recommend this diet unless you can get 8 hrs of sleep every night or else you'll be too drained to keep your energy up.
2. Vegetables. Since all the ruffage and carbs you can eat on this diet is in the form of green stuff you'd better love your vegetables. I hate broccoli and this made the diet about 10000 times harder.
3. Digestion. Unless you love those aforementioned vegetables be prepared for some BM problems. By the end of the diet I was able to regulate this by eating more broccoli but it was not fun.
4. Alcohol. I don't know what it is but this diet makes it impossible to get drunk very easily. I was able to toss back 8 shots in an hour and not even feel a buzz an hour later. This could be the deal breaker for a lot of my friends.

On to the future!

Now that I've completed the "indoctrination" period of my dieting... I will be moving onto Phase II.

Phase II:
-150g+ protein on workout days
-Whole grain carbs in the morning (yay!)
-No trans fat
-No high fructose corn syrup
-No sugar
-No starch
-No processed grains
-Limit 1 serving of fruit per day
-1 meal per week of anything I want (double yay!)

With this diet I will hopefully have the energy to push myself further in the gym and put back on some weight in the form of muscle. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

Miller X said...

Your dedication is an inspiration to us all.

Michael said...

perhaps you would have had more energy if you had tried...THE BIBLE DIET!

http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/74157/what-would-jesus-weigh

Anonymous said...

Not to sound discouraging, I am proud of you for your commitment to fitness, but it isn't healthy to eat that much protein daily. Ingesting more then 50g of protein a day for any more then a couple of weeks can do serious long term damage to your liver and kidneys.